Friday 22 July 2011

Trifecta of Fishy Goodness

Sometimes, simple is the way to go. Especially with fish. Those of you who love fish know what I mean. You want the flavors to compliment the fish, not overpower it. This is one of those dishes; it's simple, it's fresh, and it is super easy to make. 


This started out as a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis. You may have noticed that I like her cooking. Anyways, this started as her creation, and over time has become my very own. Not that hers wasn't good; it was great. This one is just a bit simpler. 8 ingredients, plus the fish. How hard can it be? I use salmon, for the simple fact that the flavor of it can stand up to the flavors of the mustard. 


I love whole grain mustard in this. It adds texture, both visual and and to the dish itself. It's just so pretty!


And where there is whole grain, there is dijon! The flavors and textures just blend together so well it's not funny. You can also see by the unique measuring device that I am totally into perfect measurements. But not really.


In the original recipe, Giada calls for a ton of fresh herbs. These are great, but this is a go-to dish for me; I don't usually have all the herbs in my fridge, so Herbs de Provence it is! Also, I really like how you can see the little bits of dried lavender in the sauce. Pale purple against pale yellow. It's like spring!


Also, a neat trick. You know those recipes that calls for white wine, but just a splash? Unless you already have an open bottle, it's kind of a pain. So, I just use lemon juice. Works just the same!


Mix everything all together. Look at that yummy goodness. Pale yellow, tons of texture, and tang! The tang is really good here.


Smother it onto the fish. Oh, and don't be like me; add garlic (fresh or dried. Its totally whatever) to the beginning. I forgot and had to sprinkle it on. Guess that makes it 9 ingredients, not 8, but who's counting? Oh, wait... I was. Moving on!!


Bake on parchment paper. Makes for easy clean up. Promise.


This is best served with things that don't compete with the fish. Also, on a side note, I am totally in love with cous cous. This is a relatively new thing for me, and I just can't seem to get enough of it. It is starting to be my go-to starch. Yum!


Look at that crust! The best thing is, the mustard sauce totally penetrates all the way into the fish. It's great. Really it is. And, this whole dinner? Yeah, it took about 20 minutes to whip up, from start to finish. Simple, elegant, and quick? It's like the trifecta for cooks.

xoxo Craig

Keep reading for the recipe
Mustard Crusted Salmon

What you need:
  • 2 Salmon filets
  • 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1 large teaspoon of Herbs de Provence (or whatever Italian herbs you have on hand)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or white wine)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
  • 1 clove garlic, diced (or a teaspoon of the dried stuff)
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • olive oil
Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). In a mixing bowl, combine the mustards, herbs, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, garlic, a dash of olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Blend until it forms a creamy sauce. Spoon over the salmon filets. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the salmon is done, and the top is nice and lightly browned.

2 comments:

kcm said...

Whoa, stalker. I just made my own version of that same meal last night. Even the couscous, which for me was totally not SOP.

Craig said...

well, in all honesty, i think i made this a few nights ago, so really i suspect you were standing on my balcony and now im mad you didnt come in and say hi. just stole my recipe and my cous cous