Wednesday 20 July 2011

Spinach, Mushrooms, Cheese & Puff Pastry. Can YOU think of something tastier?

So, I know I have been very absent lately. It was for a good cause, I promise! You see, I was playing around with a new recipe and I wanted to get it right before I told you all about it. Turns out, I came up with a super versatile little savory tart.


I started with frozen spinach, mushrooms, and some cheese. Then I started playing around. The thought that adding the mushrooms, onions and garlic raw to the tart didn't seem right to me; I mean, would that cook all the way before the puff pastry burned?



So I started with sautéing the onions, and the garlic. I added in the chopped up mushrooms then though, ok Craig, this needs more flavor. I mean, how common were those flavors? Very, in my opinion. So, as I sat there sipping my white wine and staring at my sautéing mushrooms, I just suddenly poured in about half a cup of it to the pan. I didn't even think, I just did it.


Then, I let everything sauté until there was no more liquid in the pan. That's right, little mushrooms, soak up all that flavory goodness!


Then, into a big bowl went the mushrooms and onions, and a box of thawed frozen spinach. Also, did you know how much water frozen spinach has in it? Yeah, squeeze that mess out. You don't want a liquidy mixture.


I mixed it all up, and added ricotta, mascarpone, and parmesan cheese.


I poured it over some puff pastry and baked it until golden brown. And then I stared at the mountains of leftover spinach mixture I had left over.


So I started playing around with the ingredients. I made it where it was an open tart. Then I covered it with an additional sheet of pastry. Then, I made individual puffs. Then I added artichoke hearts. Then I tried cooking the mushrooms with a hefeweizen instead of the wine. Everything I did to this worked. I love it. It's easy, versatile, and JP said he could eat it for days. And days. And then more days


Enjoy!

xoxo Craig


Keep reading for the recipe

Spinach and Mushroom Tart


What you need:

  • Assorted mushrooms - 2 pints, chopped
  • 1 large onion - chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic - diced
  • 1 box frozen spinach - thawed and drained of excess water
  • Ricotta cheese - 1 cup
  • Mascarpone cheese - 1/3 cup
  • Parmesan cheese - 1/3 cup
  • Artichoke hearts - 3 or 4, chopped, optional
  • 1 egg
  • White wine or beer - 1/2 cup
  • Puff Pastry
  • salt and pepper
  • butter
  • olive oil
Over medium heat, melt some butter into some olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and sauté until just soft and translucent. Add the garlic, and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add the mushroom and allow to start to brown. Pour in the wine or the beer (whichever you are using) and season with some salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon, making sure to scrape up any bits stuck to the pan (hello flavor!) and allow to cook until all the liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375º F (190º C). In a large mixing bowl, add the spinach, all the cheese and the egg. Mix to combine. Add the mushrooms, and the artichokes (if using) and mix throughly. 

Add the mixture to the puff pastry, making sure to leave at least 1/2 inch around the edge. Leave the pastry open, cover it with more pastry, come up with new shapes. Really, do whatever. It makes if fun. you can even make small individual puffs. Try anything! Bake until golden brown and nicely puffed up!

No comments: