Thursday 7 July 2011

Healthy Comfort Food. Or is That an Oxymoron?

So we all love comfort food. Hence the name, comfort food. But, the sad fact is that these wonderful meals are generally pretty heavy and not exactly the best for your waistline. Such a shame, cause if I could, I would eat comfort foods every night. In particular, I would eat meatloaf. I love it.

But, what luck! Oh, joy of joy's! Giada De Laurentiis has come to my rescue! She came up with one of the tastiest meatloaf's I have come across! Now, in case you have never looked at Giada's recipes, please take a moment to do so. I have 2 of her cookbooks, and let me tell you, I love them. They are full of so many wonderful things, and they give me really great inspiration for my meals. So, back to this meatloaf. It is a turkey meatloaf, with parsley, feta, and sundried tomatoes. Simple, moist, and delicious!


The recipe really isn't all that different from a regular meatloaf recipe. You use some meat (duh!), breadcrumbs, eggs and then the inside ingredients; in this case, the feta, parsley and tomatoes.


Look! The colors of Italy! Huzzah! Excuse me while I dream of Tuscany...


Per usual, you mix it all together. Be careful not to over mix it, cause the turkey will get tough. Wanna know a neat trick for this? Use a fork! You kind of fluff it all together. Keeps it from getting all dense and dry when you cook it.


Look at all that baked goodness! You can see flecks of parsley, bubbly feta cheese, and the chewy tomatoes. Yummers like crazy!


I served it with the usual potatoes and vegetables. The potatoes were super easy to make, just boil them, drain, then add some better, salt pepper, then all that leftover parsley! Hooray for deliciousness! Also, asparagus. Is there a tastier green vegetable out there? I don't think so! 


Here's a close up of the meatloaf... you know, just in case you want to join me in drooling a bit over it. Its moist, and meaty, and everything you want out of a meatloaf!


The best thing about making meatloaf, though? The awesome sandwiches you get to make the next day. Add two pieces of sourdough, some mayonnaise and a bit of dijon, then two slices of that awesome meatloaf and presto! You've got yourself the perfect lunch!


xoxo Craig

Click Here for the recipe from Giada De Laurentiis 

No comments: