Thursday 15 September 2011

Just like the Purple People Eater. Only with potatoes.

So the other night I was brain storming what flavors would go well together. I wanted to try something different for my chicken. It was feeling a little bland. Time for a makeover, right?


So, somewhere along my path to chefdom, I heard that orange and dill went well together. This made sense to me. The sweetness of the orange, the dill-i-ness of the dill... yes. Perfect sense.


So I decided that the way to go was to marinate the chicken. So, squeezed in a few oranges.


Chopped up a boatload of garlic. With a way too small knife. I mean, wayyyyy too small. It was annoying.


Then the dill. I love the smell of fresh chopped dill. It's almost magical cause it tastes the same way it smells. 


Hooray marinade!


Because I wanted the marinade to penetrate all through the chicken, I attacked it with a fork. This was great in a therapy type of way.


Then, soak it. Imagine that. Soaking the meat in a marinade. Who knew!?


So anyways, I baked it all up in a very hot oven in its own marinade. Just a note, this made my apartment smell amazing!


So naturally, since JP and I are trying to diet in the face of bathing suit season, I not only halved the chicken, I served it with some wholesome sides.

Now, about the chicken. This marinade was awesome. This marinade on chicken, not so much. The chicken flavor sort of overpowers the incredibly delicious, yet very subtle flavors of the orange and dill. I think that perhaps fish would be better in this situation. Maybe a nice cut of salmon, or some whitefish would work a little better.


So, what ended up being the star of the show? The potatoes. That I didn't take any pictures of until they were on the plate. 

Wanna know why?

It's cause they're purple. 




Yeup. 

Purple potatoes. Love it!!

xoxo
Craig

Keep reading to the marinade recipe


Orange dill marinade

What you need:

  • 2 oranges
  • 1 bunch of dill
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • salt and pepper
  • some meat, be it fish, pork or chicken.
Start by juicing the oranges. Add the diced garlic, chopped dill and some salt and pepper. Add whatever meat you want to use. I would recommend salmon over anything else. Let it sit in the marinade for about 45 minutes. During that time, preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Once the oven is preheated, bake for 10 minutes for salmon, 20 minutes for pork or chicken.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

~jp said...

dill-i-cious!